For June and July we are taking it easier here at YMC. Each week we will be doing a TOP TEN category. Hopefully these will be as helpful to you in your ministry and they have been to me.
If you haven’t already take time to check out our resource section. We have a great selection of Bible studies, a retreat, and some other great things coming your way this summer!
For now take time to read……
“Top 10 Movies to show and discuss faith with you”
Jen Van Camp has been the youth pastor at Nineteenth Avenue Baptist Church in San Francisco, CA for over 8 years now. She grew up in Lexington, KY, and is a graduate of Cumberland College and McAfee School of Theology in Atlanta. She loves her niece and 3 nephews, her little dog Chito, all things music, pop culture trivia, and of course, Kentucky basketball.
In both my life and my ministry, theology and pop culture (movies, music, television) are seamlessly linked and I love exploring the possibilities, especially within movies. It was very hard to pick just 10 movies that I love to watch and discuss with my teenagers and young adults, but these are some of my favorites:
- The Harry Potter series (yep, all of them, couldn’t possibly just pick one)
- The Star Wars series (as a purist, I’m partial to episodes IV, V, and VI, though the origin stories do have a lot to say about good/evil)
- The Lord of the Rings series
- “The Lorax”
- “Minority Report”
- “Stranger Than Fiction”
- “Big Fish”
- “Spider-Man” (the first one with Tobey Maguire)
-“The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe”
**And the top movies I wish I could use if they weren’t rated R- “The Matrix, “ and “The Book of Eli”
What are some of your favorites?
Andrew Noe is the Student Minister at Rosemont Baptist Church in Lexington, KY, and the moderator of this blog. He enjoys superheroes, and trying to be funny. He is married to the wonderful and amazing Hannah Noe, and they are excited for their first child, a daughter, to arrive mid-July. They also have a super intelligent dog named Daphne, and a water-obsessed cat named Ellie.
My top ten movies to show and discuss faith with youth are:
1. Noah (It showcases how close a relationship with God can be)
2. The Lego Movie (live life to the fullest!)
3. Narnia: the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (the obvious Christ like sacrifice in the film)
4. Toy Story 3 (the strength of family and friendship)
5. Remember the Titans (the importance of equality for all)
6. Wall-E (consumerism, and why always chasing more isn’t the right way to live)
7. Truman Show (reality vs fake….are we who others say, or are we something more?)
8. Big Fish (the power of faith and stories/ literal truth vs truth)
9. Superman Returns (a son sent to Earth, raised by humans but is something more than human, to lead them into the light, ends up dying and coming back to life………this movie has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity)
10. Matrix Revolutions (its rated R, but has a great self sacrifice by the main character)
Honorable Mention: Faith Like Potatoes. Ironically I just heard of this movie this week, but it seems rather interesting. A farmer moves to a new place and plants potatoes to help others, but can’t tell how it will all turn out because they grow underground. It is based off a true story